Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

Daughter won talent show at fair, what is the chance of her getting a full ride to Stanford?

My daughter sang Walking in The Air at the talent show at the fair. She is currently in 11th grade. I was unaware she was practicing singing and such and I found the trophy and a check for $1500 in her room.

She says it’s no big deal, but it actually might be a big deal and if pursued lead to a scholarship. I know Stanford does t offer academic merit scholarships, but they do offer scholarships to specially recruited students for particular talent and such as far as I know.

Is winning such a contest a potential way to get a full ride scholarship to Stanford for 4 years of undergrad plus 2 years for an MBA and would it look impressive to Stanford?

Stanford might see her as “the next Jackie Evancho” and offer her a full ride. How would this work what would Stanford think, how does one get a full ride to Stanford?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • nancy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

I'm sure your daughter has a lovely voice, but I wouldn't pin any hopes on a full ride scholarship to Stanford based on her winning a prize at the fair. First of all, Stanford only has two types of scholarships: athletic and need based. Singing would not influence the selection for either. However, if your family income is below $125,000, Stanford does not charge tuition and if it is below $65,000 they do not charge for tuition, fees, room or board. So, regardless of her singing talent, if she is able to get into Stanford, she would be able to attend for free if your income is low enough. But getting in is the hard part. Stanford has about 45,000 applicants every year and every single one of them started preparing for this when they were in diapers. They are among the very top students in the nation and Stanford only admits about 2000 of them. And of course, they have lots of very qualifeed applicants who can pay, so if they're going to pick someone who needs a ton of financial aid, that applicant has to offer something extraordinary that they can't get any other way. If your daughter wants to compete on that level, she's going to have to offer a whole lot more than a prize from the state fair......like a very high GPA and test scores, a clearly defined goal for a career, incredible talent in that field and a very strong resume of activities showing how she's been working toward that goal. She's also going to have to demonstrate that she can be successful working in a community of other highly talented and motivated students. If she's can't do that, then her chances of success are slim. However, even if she doesn't get into Stanford, that doesn't mean that her future is doomed. The most famous college isn't necessarily the best fit for every student. So, she can try for Stanford if she wants, but she should also keep an open mind to the thousands of other fine schools that might be more interested in what she has to offer.

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Really best answer? No one has any humor for you today.

• NONAME
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

id be more worried that she trained for and entered and then won a contest that you knew nothing about...that is upsetting...she clearly does not want this to control her life...no matter how good she is at it...so dont force that on her...and 2ndly...WTF are you thinking...stanford for singing...please...its nice your proud of her but live in reality not in your head

• 2 months ago

There is a high probability.

I was just reading an article in The Chronicle of Higher Education that Stanford is focusing on bring in MBA students who are good singers of songs from movies based on children's books.

• 2 months ago

Winning a talent show at a fair is pretty meaningless. She did not win America's Got Talent, or even a place at a music festival. And Stanford is not a renowned music conservatory seeking music performance students anyway.

For admission to a music conservatory or music dept of a university with a reputable music dept, she needs to have years of professional training listed on her supporting documentation, with recommendations from her music teachers & coaches, list all recitals & significant music competitions with awards. She probably would have won enough awards & scholarships in major competitions to pay for much of her schooling. BTW, she must also audition.

There is NO financial aid whatsoever anywhere for MBA. First, they should have 3-5 yrs post-bachelor's experience before applying for admission, so they have had plenty time of save up. And if they cannot manage their own money, they are not suitable candidates for any future in managerial or executive level positions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.