Car insurance and registration in a different state than I live in?

Next year I intend to move from Massachusetts to Ohio for college. I am 20 and only recently got my license so getting my own insurance policy would be pretty expensive. I plan to live off campus in an apartment with roommates. I also intend on buying my mom's old car off of her when she gets a new one. Her... show more Next year I intend to move from Massachusetts to Ohio for college. I am 20 and only recently got my license so getting my own insurance policy would be pretty expensive. I plan to live off campus in an apartment with roommates. I also intend on buying my mom's old car off of her when she gets a new one. Her suggestion is that I keep it in her name and keep the insurance she has so I don't have to pay a ton of money for insurance which seems ideal but not legal. Don't you have to reregister a car in a state if you have lived there for a certain amount of time? I do intened to come home for holidays and the summer but will still pay rent in Ohio when I come back to Massachusetts so I think that still qualifies me as a permanent resident of Ohio. Is there anyway around this or is getting my own policy and reregistering in Ohio the best thing I can do?