How can I improve my opening line?

I'm still new to writing and currently editing my first draft. My beta readers suggested improving my opening line/paragraph as it didn't really 'hook' them. They felt I should be able to provide just that sentence and have people want to read the next. Others seemed to feel a good opening life... show more I'm still new to writing and currently editing my first draft. My beta readers suggested improving my opening line/paragraph as it didn't really 'hook' them. They felt I should be able to provide just that sentence and have people want to read the next. Others seemed to feel a good opening life wasn't that necessary because most people read further than the first sentence when they pick up a boo in a store or Library.

So do you think the opening line is that important when it comes to hooking the readers?
If so how do you write a good opening line? What does it need to include? How can I make it hook people? I looked at some famous ones and none of them really made me want to read on in the way people suggested it should.

Thanks for your time