Instagram post deleted by user or by the app?

So my boyfriend’s Instagram is private. I do not have Instagram which is why I have not requested to see his profile. However I do know his Instagram handle and can see post count, number of followers, and number of followings , which is public information. He told me he deleted the app off his phone and doesn’t... show more So my boyfriend’s Instagram is private. I do not have Instagram which is why I have not requested to see his profile. However I do know his Instagram handle and can see post count, number of followers, and number of followings , which is public information.

He told me he deleted the app off his phone and doesn’t log into his account. However, if I go to check his followers numbers, they fluctuate (Mainly decrease) by a few every so often. I attribute this to him not using the app and doing this but people he follows maybe deleting their account or something, which means the number he follows would go down as well. Therefore what he told me about not using the app is true.

However, for the first time, I checked and saw his total number of posts decreased. How would his total number of posts decrease if he himself wasn’t logging into Instagram and deleting a post? Or is there something Instagram would do by deleting a post even though my boyfriend hasn’t logged in and done anything.

I ask this because I am not familiar with Instagram.