Does therapy really help???

I have been struggling with depression since I was a kid. I really do not remember when I was happy. I feel dead inside every single day. I have been going through a lot since I was a child. I saw my favorite athlete and they explained how they went through mental illness. They went through every single thing that... show more I have been struggling with depression since I was a kid. I really do not remember when I was happy. I feel dead inside every single day. I have been going through a lot since I was a child. I saw my favorite athlete and they explained how they went through mental illness. They went through every single thing that I am going through. They said even their smiles and laughter were fake. They said when they wake up they feel sad and they feel a cloud over their head full of depression and anger. They did therapy for few months and they said they woke up one day actually feeling good to wake up and smile when they really meant it. The cloud just went away and for the first time they were happy. I feel like what they said really changed my mind on therapy and kinda made me consider it. Will it be helpful for me too? Should I go to a psychiatrist or a psychologist?
4 answers 4