Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 months ago

Why have so many employees of fast food etc cone to expect tips where traditionally there would be no tip?

For example, too many fast food restaurants have activated the tip line at the counter as if you are suppose to tip. They seem to think you are rude if you follow traditional tipping standards. I'll tip is you cone to my table to take my order and then bring it to me. If I order at the counter, expecting a tip is inappropriate.

The same for other retail situations. I got a tip line on a credit card at a convenience store when I bought cigarettes. Completely inappropriate.

• GEEGEE

The line on a cc receipt is a generic format so just leave it blank if you don't want to tip. I get the impression that there may be hope for a receipt but often no true expectation for one.

I have never heard of such a thing. I agree with you completely.

maybe cause they want the tips

• Foofa

Some people have been convinced that these sorts of jobs should pay enough to live a middle class lifestyle. They were never meant for that and have always been either a second income for a household or something for students living with parents to do until they finish college. What's missing now is the desire for upward mobility that used to be second nature to humankind.

• edward

You don’t have to tip, they don’t expect it, it’s just there. The gas station i go to has that line on the receipt, i know they’re not expecting a tip, it just happens to be the way they print it on the bottom. Nobody said you had to tip

I'm sure there will be plenty of morons and conservatards who will claim to have never seen this, but it's just that they are not paying attention. Every coffee place has them. Every one. As if calling oneself a barista justifies a tip. Just pour me my goddamned coffee, or put it in a self-serve pot. I bought some caramel rolls the other day from a 'bakery' attached to a gas station. There was a tip line on the receipt. I wrote 'zero' - as it is absurd.

• Matt

Traditional tipping standards? Of japan where it isnt allowed?

English culture encourages tipping while many of the workers paychecks alone are insufficient for thier financial situation. But i havent encountered a fast food cashier that outwardly expects a tip. Thats just a restaurant thing.

• ?

At Subway they have added a tip option. Its because they aren't getting paid enough & the companies are trying to make that the customers problem. God forbid the shareholders and owners have to sacrifice one luxury out of many.

I have never had a fast food worker "expect" a tip. That is stupid.

You’re saying if you were an employee at a store you wouldn’t want to at least give the customer an opportunity to give you more money?