Is Beloved by Toni Morrison in the horror genre?

I never considered Beloved a horror novel before despite it having horror genre elements like a ghost and a haunted house. I always thought it was more drama then horror. But then I saw, a reviewer on Goodreads who made a good point. Other horror novels are about things like monsters or killer clowns but Toni... show more I never considered Beloved a horror novel before despite it having horror genre elements like a ghost and a haunted house. I always thought it was more drama then horror. But then I saw, a reviewer on Goodreads who made a good point. Other horror novels are about things like monsters or killer clowns but Toni Morrison wrote about something far scarier than any of that. She wrote about the horror of American Slavery. Although Beloved may have a ghost in it she's not what's supposed to be scary. What's scary in Beloved is the real things that African American Slaves had to face at that time. And that's why it's so scary. What do you think? Is Beloved a horror novel or not?
3 answers 3