Why do young people pretend to be wiser than their fathers and grandfathers?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

They are not pretending, they actually believe they are. In some ways they are actually. My kids learned things in school that were unknown when I went. They learned things that have been corrected from what I learned. They grow up using the latest and greatest tech. That tech was once a VCR and how to connect it to a TV. For them, it is second hand. For the older folks, they need to relearn. The younger generations see these sort of things and that leads them to believe, they are smarter and wiser. They are too young to have seen the cycles, the trends, the loops. Too young to fully understand real interactions. They tend to go through best friends seasonally as opposed to knowing them for decades. They feel to have the depth of those relationships. In some ways, they know more but in many others, they don't know what they don't know. So they can't understand.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because these days knowing how to work a smartphone counts as knowledge.

• 2 months ago

I didn’t........

• GTB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is a common behavioral trait and is not a recent development - even writings in Ancient Greece and Rome talk of this. Younger people are closer to their formal education and perhaps recall more of it; they also lack the "wisdom of the years" which is accumulated over time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Satan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Every generation has done the same.

Have a look at this clip from the 1960s Dragnet series. True today as it was over 50 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZo2hhvvlpw

Youtube thumbnail

&t=2s

• Brian
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It not my fault that I happen to be.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.