Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 2 months ago

how do i move?

i want to move to chicago and i live 12 hours away from it. will this be hard by my self

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Lolly
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As long as you have enough for a place to stay and don't over extend yourself by paying too much rent. There are lots of cheap places, but you may have a long commute. Chicago is easy to manage because it's separated by neighborhoods, so it's not overwhelming. You hardly notice it's a big city.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

if you have a car, don't be afraid to look in the suburbs too. even if you have a job or school in the city, there's plenty of public transportation options to get downtown. i live in Naperville, and can get to the city under an hour on a good day. maybe a little over an hour during traffic. naperville, wheaton, arlington heights, palatine, downers grove, glen ellyn, oak brook, are some places to look to.

depending on your budget for living needs, you should look outside city limits too.

if you have a lot of stuff to transport, you can look into either renting a uhaul by yourself and make a couple trips over a week or two, or even look at a shipping company to pay them to transport it. you should be able to get quotes or rates online if you google moving companies. read reviews on yelp, angie's list, and others to find reputable companies with good reviews and recommendations.

figure out what your budget is on your income. ideally, you only should be spending no more than 30% on rent. if you are renting, you will also need renters insurance.

• Mark
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

As Mike suggests, do your homework. Spend as much time as you need finding out places to rent, type of accommodation, transportation options, neighbourhoods, etc. Remember that everything has a trade-off: you might find a wonderful hood, but it's too expensive, or further out of your intended range. Maybe use FB groups for living in Chicago (whatever name they might be using) and ask for recommendations.

• 2 months ago

It won't be easy. You'll have to work hard. But oh, is it ever worth it to be independent!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I'd suggest finding a place to stay to check out the city for a couple days, feel out what neighborhoods you like. bucktown area is probably a good bet for finding somewhere affordable to live. I'm not sure about the logistics of moving that far, but I know about moving to Chicago specifically.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.