In what climate or zone would a blue Spruce thrive in actually?

I got interested in these trees when I received catalogs in other garden centers say it's for zone 6 or 7 and the catalog say it's for zone 8 which is a little between Mississippi and huston and I'm at the lower valley of Texas which is a zone 9 or 10 but in truth what is the deal tho everywhere including north is hotter like Ohio because of global warming

Best Answer

A blue spruce will not grow in Houston. There is a chance if you live in Amarillo. But, you have to get to at least Santa Fe to have a chance, and Durango for a better chance. There is something about altitude and degree-days involved in the adaptability of trees. It is more than just the temperature zones. The easy way to determine how well a tree will do in a particular location is to look around and see how many of them you can find. That is zero for a blue spruce in Houston as far as I know. You are good for lemon trees. Now, a few years back we had peach trees near Houston and lost the trees about 5 or 6 years ago when the winter degree days became too warm for the trees to set fruit. And the government changed the recommended varieties because of it. At least we think that is what happened. It works out that peach trees do not do well in Houston because the low chill varieties are disease prone in the Houston humidity. The point is it's complicated.

• Earleen
      4 weeks agoReport

Texas was its own Republic 1836-1846.

• In

I have a dwarf Colorado Blue Spruce doing nicely in my landscape bed and I am in USDA zone 7a (upstate SC). I would not try to plant it any farther south.

I see the blue Spruce in the mountains where the snow is. That is where they are found in nature.