Deb asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

My dog Charlie is 80 pounds and 11 years old. Carprofen / Ibuprofen?

My dog Charlie is 80 pounds and 11 years old. Vet prescribed carprofen for pain and it really helps Charlie get around but it's over $50/month. Can I give him same dose otc ibuprofin instead?

Thank you everyone for your input. I was able to find a generic of his medicine online and ordered three months for a one month supply of name brand at the vet. Our vet was happy to fill his prescription from an online pharmacy. Thank you for the education and I'm glad you responded. I didn't think it was a big deal until I read some of the replies. Thanks again!

• Nathan
    Favorite Answer

No. Ibuprofen is a medicine for humans, and had chemicals that are unsafe for dog's in it. It also contains a higher concentration of the ingredients because humans need much higher dosages. Instead of helping his pain, you could accidentally overdose him which can kill him. If you're looking for less expensive medicine, I recommend calling a shelter and asking what they offer as many will offer discounted veterinary treatment to those who need it

Nooooo! Do not give it ibruophen. All though it is an NSA’s is the same as carorophen, it is toxic to dogs!!

Ask the vet not a bunch of people who may not have any idea of the adverse side affects.

• Hannah

$50/month is not that much... do what's best for your dog and what your vet told you to do.

Carprofen and ibuprofen are simillar but NOT the same.

One is safe for dogs, the other is not.

Discusd alternatives with your vet.

Why dont you discuss cheaper alternatives with your VET. Ibuprofen can easily be overdosed. Your vet will be able to advise on the appropriate dose, or know of a generic or cheaper option.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will KILL the dog. IBUPROFEN is a human drug and is TOXIC to dogs.

• Verulam 1

^^ Absolutely. DO NOT GIVE A DOG IBUPROFEN.