My dog Charlie is 80 pounds and 11 years old. Carprofen / Ibuprofen?

My dog Charlie is 80 pounds and 11 years old. Vet prescribed carprofen for pain and it really helps Charlie get around but it's over $50/month. Can I give him same dose otc ibuprofin instead?
Update: Thank you everyone for your input. I was able to find a generic of his medicine online and ordered three months for a one month supply of name brand at the vet. Our vet was happy to fill his prescription from an online pharmacy. Thank you for the education and I'm glad you responded. I didn't think it... show more Thank you everyone for your input. I was able to find a generic of his medicine online and ordered three months for a one month supply of name brand at the vet. Our vet was happy to fill his prescription from an online pharmacy. Thank you for the education and I'm glad you responded. I didn't think it was a big deal until I read some of the replies. Thanks again!