Is it possible to put a clear enamel coat on a tub to protect the surface? And if so what would you use?

The products that are described as "enamel" are not true enamel. True enamel isn't something that can be applied at home.

Home applied "enamel" surfaces invariably look awful. Why does the tub need protecting? Just be careful to avoid grit.

Yes, but first look at the attached video. It may be a better choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZfxS-vhb6E

Youtube thumbnail

• GTB

You can do this; it will not likely stick or be persistent; it will look bad; but you can do it. I suggest you not do this.

Generally the finish on tubs is harder than any paint By the time it wears out it is time to replace the tub.

• roger

I would not use enamel. I would use epoxy.. West System would be a good choice

• y

I forget their names but there are a number of products specifically made for resurfacing tub and tiles. No idea if there is a clear. I used one such product a dozen or so years ago on the downstairs shower, it still looks like the day I did it.