Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

How can I make friends in college?

I'm doing everything I can possibly do to "make friends." I'm getting involved, I talk to people but I'm just not making friends. My roommate and I don't even say 10 words to eachother most days and she already has friends over almost every day. I'm alone in an unfamiliar city with no friends and no family. It adds on to the stress of "college life" and makes dropping out seem like an option.

Best Answer

To be liked, generally, it helps to be more interestED than interestING. Listening is good for making friends: ask people questions about themselves and their opinions and listen to them without interruption, except for little comments that demonstrate that you're REALLY listening. It shows you are taking them seriously, as in respect and acceptance. Don't sit there thinking about what you will say, because that shows more interest in yourself than them. Little pauses demonstrate that you are thinking about what they have said anyway. You can ask them how they felt about what they have just told you, or other specific questions to show you have been listening and taking them seriously. Be open minded and try not to disagree with people. For example, if they like a band you hate, ask what it is they like about them, best track, etc. (avoid the word, “why” as it can sound challenging). You can always say you don't listen to them much but you will now or something. Asking for advice is also good. Genuinely, of course, & don't overdo it. Ditto information – we feel pleased to tell someone something interesting they did not know, such as what’s on in town, latest sports score, etc., so by showing interest in their opinion, knowledge, etc. you’ll get some good feelings from them. Smiling is a good sign of acceptance. A lot of eye contact can also be good. Remember, if you want to have a friend, you have to BE a friend, and the best way to impress someone is to be impressed by them! One thing you can do is always to ensure you have a straight back: sit, stand and walk tall (hips forward) and take reasonably long, confident strides when you walk: this has the “reverse psychology” effect of helping us to feel more confident. Once we have self respect and a sense of self worth, we tend to find that other people respect us more too.

Good Luck!

Used to be by joining a Greek society.

Since the liberals have overtaken the body politic, that is limited too.

Be available, laugh, and agree. Don't eat lunch in a corner. Attend group sessions that do not offend you.

• Hope!

You have to step up your game a bit - invite someone over or out for coffee etc.. look for someone like you that is new and doesn't seem to have many friends.. and then just be honest - 'hey, I'd like to get together, and just wondered if you want to go for coffee after school"