Do you prefer driving a Standard or an Automatic?

• Fred
    Favorite Answer

I live in a rural area where manual transmissions are way better. Those living in cities generally prefer automatics as traffic is stop/start and many people do not want to be constantly clutching and changing gears.

Manual transmissions give way better control of the car as you control the gears and can down shift to slow down without wearing out the brakes and have more control through things like corners and difficult driving conditions. You choose what gear you are in to suit your driving and do not have to accept the factory pre-set gearing which is a compromise to what they think the car should be doing.

Automatic transmissions in small cars are now those stupid CVT transmissions most people hate as they are not as positive as the older type of auto transmissions. They suffer from what many call the sling shot effect where you go to start off and they seem to not respond properly and suddenly they are away. I think the current Toyota Corolla has a special low gear so the car moves as soon as you press the accelerator and then the CVT transmission takes over so you don't get the sling shot effect. Likely others will adopt an idea like this.

• Nini

I like your answer. It's nice to get an answer from someone that knows something about automobiles. My first vehicle was a 1965 Econoline Van 3 speed on the column. My second vehicle was a 1974 MGB. Now that's the kind of car to have a standard. Lots of fun!

A stick shift with a foot-operated clutch (not paddle shifters) is ‘driving’. Everything else is sitting on your butt pushing down on a pedal with your right foot only and turning a steering wheel with one hand while you play with your iPhone with the other.... because basically the car is so over-engineered and takes so little skill to drive, it barely needs your presence at all, particularly if it’s a Tesla etc.

Automatic. When i'm racing i'll drive manual

Automatic .............

automatic any day

• Spin

i prefer automatic

I prefer standard, so I can feel the pleasure of driving.

I prefer a manual transmission in most every situation except bumper to bumper traffic. But I also realize that most any automatic does most everything better than I can do by hand

• atomic fireball

It’s such a cliché to say that it’s ‘hard to drive a manual in heavy traffic’. It’s not. Unless you really don’t know how to drive one very well. It’s called a sensitive pedal foot.

Automatic. I never learned to shift and text at the same time.

• dtstellwagen

You should try voice-to-text options, makes it easier! :)

• Brian

Standards are way more fun.

An automatic in traffic, a manual in my sports car if the road is open to have some fun.

Up in the mountains, I will take a manual gear box any day. It's no fun riding the brakes!

I did Pikes Peak last summer, a place where you want that manual to make it a fun drive.

• Anon3 months agoReport

Some new cars, difficult to get idle speed down. Isn't always some "idle screw". Putting in Platinum  plugs can increase idle..