Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Am I at all responsible for fixing my mothers house?

So I I'm 25. And moved back in a few months ago due to my living situation not working out. I'm currently saving up for another place to live. Anyway, I realized after I moved in, that there are a lot of things wrong with her house. There is a small leak in the roof that is slowly rotting the plywood holding up the shingles. The siding is rotting, and now there is a pipe leaking from the cieling. I'm not at all a handy man. So I would have no idea were to start. Anyway, when i bring these problems to her attention she just gets mad, and days "then call a contractor, and pay him to fix it" I'm sorry, but it's her house. I would think it's her responsibility. I already have a dog with health problems I need to worry about. I cant afford to fix all of this. She says she cant iether, but then she went to l.a. twice in the past 4 months, and now shes going to vegas next month. I've been worried about these problems with her housez but should I? Or should I just let the damn house fall apart?

• Archer

If your not paying to live there, fixing those issues would be a small contribution to her compensating her for the expense of you being there.

• Foofa

That house is likely your inheritance so it may behoove you to make sure it doesn't fall apart. Just sayin'.

If you can do some small things, ok. But look faster for another place.

• Nicholas2 months agoReport

The truth is I was planning on staying here for around 4 years. I own a mobile home with my brother, but we dont get along, and there arent any apartments around here that will eccept my dog (shes a pit bull) so I'm kind of stuck.

As you are a guest in her house it's none of your business. Keep your nose out of her affairs and all will be peace and light. A decent son would at least make some attempt to do simple repairs. Or are you too precious?