When should I apply for an apartment?

I am graduating from college on December 14th and starting my Master's degree in January. I found an apartment complex that I can actually afford, for restricted income, but I'm not sure when to apply. I've never rented an apartment before, so bare with me. Should I be applying now or should I wait until December? I'd like to move in asap after December 14th, maybe even on December 14th. Does the application process normally take a long time?

For reference, I live in Savannah, GA.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Can I please get best answer?

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Restricted income apartments are often in high demand and can have waiting lists miles long. I'd be inclined to go through their office to make sure you indeed qualify, and what the waiting list might be. They can advise you when to apply.

• 3 months ago

The thing with Apartments is a lot of places end up doing credit checks on you, so unless you are 100% sure that you'll end up getting the apartment, I wouldn't apply because it count as a hard inquiry on your credit report.

• 3 months ago

call them now to find out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

ask them.............

• 3 months ago

i would ask the apt manager when to apply

• 3 months ago

Contact them now and see about getting on their waiting list. I'd be shocked if a restricted income complex does not have a current waiting list.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

None are going to hold an apartment for you. If thats what you are asking. So Id say a week or two before you need it. Most need your rent to be no more than 28% of your gross monthly income.

• Eva
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Income based apartments usually have a long waiting list. Call the complex office and ask them how long the waiting list is. Start looking for another apartment in case that one doesn't work out.

• 3 months ago

Unless they'll hold it that long, for a fee, I doubt it will be available.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.