do you find it hard to get thick meat to cook on the stove top- like chicken breasts, hamburger meat, chicken thighs etc?

Favorite Answer

No but you definitely have to compensate for a lot of thickness buy cooking it over lower heat for more time. I do not form hamburger patties very thick. Chicken thighes are not too bad in that regard. When I cook boneless chicken breasts I pound them down to an even thickness. That not only allows for even (and quicker) cooking but it breaks up the fibers of the meat allowing a marinade to penetrate deep into the meat.

No. I have no trouble getting anything to cook.

Be sure it’s completely thawed.

I use dead medium for stove top cooking of most meats.

I do. Searing it and then using medium-low hear helps, as well as breaking it up (hamburger meat), butterflying it, or otherwise making it thinner

No. If you're the same person asking this 5 times a day the answer is get patience. Unfortunately, the line to get them has a 5 hour wait. (pantomimed rim-shot noise).

If you're cooking frozen, there's half your problem. If it's fresh or defrosted, 20 mins is nowhere near enough for a chicken leg. Just to prove it's possible, put it on low-med, where the flame touches the pan just enough where it wouldn't count as sexual harassment. Then go away for one hour. It might well be overcooked by then. That's your metric. You now know when you are going to fall over so you know when to save yourself. On the next batch, when it's about 90% of the way cooked, turn it up high and crisp up the outside. There are times to do it the other way around but right now, you are the roommate who burns all the pans and then takes up space not eating the horrible food you burned and under-cooked because cellphones have kept you a 5 year old who has been alive for 29 years.

I generally grill, bake or smoke chicken pieces. If I ever cook them on the stove top the meat is either cut up (as in chicken thigh for yakisoba) or pounded thin (as in chicken breast for chicken marsala or chicken saltimbocca).

Hamburgers are cooked on the grill. If I am cooking ground beef for something like spaghetti or tacos, I don't consider that "thick" meat as it's ground.

So I guess my answer is NO, but mostly because I don't cook thick meat stove-top. It just seems a weird way to do things to me.

No. I figured out what temperature setting will cook it through without burning the outside. It also works to sear the outside surfaces on the stovetop and then finish off with a few minutes under the broiler.

The way professional chefs or restaurants do it, is to just brown the skin on the outside of the meat on the stove top (for color and extra flavor), then stick it in the oven, to  finish completely cooking.