What are Democrats planning to do if they enact a mandatory gun buy back and we refuse to sell?
- myrrdin emrysLv 72 months ago
very little, unless you get caught with a banned firearm after the expiration date.
even then, there'll probably be amnesty if you turn it in voluntarily afterward - you just won't get paid.
but, let's be real. in spite of the rhetoric coming from both sides, there will probably be a compromise in any bill before it passes. "grandfathering" is one option. licensing box-magazine fed semi-autos the same way we currently license fully-automatic machine guns is another.
please keep in mind the human nature that one extreme invariably draws out it's own opposite.
the NRA says "no regulations or universal background checks, PERIOD." that's pretty extreme.
the gun-control mantra is "we'll confiscate every gun."... and there's the opposite extreme.
there is a vast chasm between the two sides where there is an opportunity to do something to reduce the number of battlefield weaponry in the wrong hands.
(and don't try to tell me an AR is not a battlefield weapon. the rifle itself and the ammunition was specifically designed to be people killers. i'm a machinist. i can convert any civilian gas-operated, box-magazine semi-auto to fire full automatic in less than 15 minutes. that includes disassembling and re-assembling the lockwork.)
you want a WWII-era M1 Garand? i doubt you'd find many democrats who'd object to that.
1) it's a high-powered cartridge. .30-06 Springfield to be exact. it's got a helluva kick, is loaded through the bolt rather than a high-capacity box magazine, and only holds 8 shots. not exactly the sort of thing to have if you're intent on causing a mass-casualty event. it can be used that way, but AR's are much easier to control and much more efficient at killing large numbers of people as quickly as possible.
2) while the .30 caliber projectile is deadly enough, it only punches a half-inch hole through a human body. the .223 Remington cartridge that most assault rifles are chambered for is much more lethal. it was designed to be unstable. upon striking flesh, the bullet begins tumbling end-over-end, resulting in horrific wound channels and quick death by exsanguination. (i learned about this when i was being trained as a medic in the US Army.)
... and while i have a great deal of sympathy for the gun-control crowd - my wife having lost a God-daughter at Sandy Hook - there's little chance anybody is going to "come for" your trusty Browning Auto 5, Remington 700, or even your S&W revolver or pistol. too many of us democrats have one or all of those.
- JeffreyLv 72 months ago
They haven't thought that through yet.
- ☠.Skratch.☠Lv 62 months ago
They will use guns to take our guns.
This has nothing to do with guns; this is all about control and power.
And Liberals know they will NEVER have full control and power until they take away everybody's guns.
- 2 months ago
Duh...it won't be democrats...it'll be YOUR GOVERNMENT...and they will take them back. Or are you one of those fools who thinks they will come with hand guns? Tactical vehicles, armored cops with assault rifles, air support, and all kinds of goodies. But you and your fellow americans will fight to keep your AR-15's? Until they blow your dumb heads off. You stupid americans think you are FREE? They will TAKE what they want from you or you will DIE.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- DzeLv 72 months ago
im sure how that would work is if you get caught with one by a search for any other reason you'll wind up with a stiff fine or prison sentence .. in other words, if you have a family your putting your whole life at risk having one .. same as having a pile of drugs in your home ..
- Anonymous2 months ago
You clearly don't understand what "mandatory" means. That means you comply or you go to jail. And then you'll have a firearms conviction on your record and you'll be bared from even being able to buy a squirt gun.
- martyLv 72 months ago
Not sure, but I guarantee they won't be buying mine back.
- 2 months ago
That's why they need to enact "sensible gun laws" first .. you know, just little stuff like registration of all firearms.
- Anonymous2 months ago
Personally, I think democrats will opt to put universal background check on national ballot.
- August WestLv 52 months ago
What if Mexico pays for them?