Is it safe to swim with weak shoulders?

Ever since I can remember my shoulders have been very weak, to the point where I have memories in which as a child I would pop the head of my homerus (both left and right) in and out of its socket to entertain/shock my friends. As I was never into activities that were too demanding for my joints (except for one... show more Ever since I can remember my shoulders have been very weak, to the point where I have memories in which as a child I would pop the head of my homerus (both left and right) in and out of its socket to entertain/shock my friends. As I was never into activities that were too demanding for my joints (except for one year of basketball in 5th grade, but that never caused any problems), this hasn't really been an issue, but lately I've been considering starting swimming regularly and I thought this might be something to at least keep in mind, which is why for the past 1.5 months I've been following my doctor's advice (in response to my concerns over shoulder weakness) to "just do some pushups" (too weak to do regular pushups so I've been doing them on my knees) in an attempt to strengthen the muscles, hoping it would be enough to tighten and stabilize the joint as a whole, BUT today while pulling my dog's leash my left shoulder came out of its socket and I had to manually put it back in. I experienced no pain (other than the emotional kind related to the realization that despite being 22 I have the joints of a fossil), and the only consequence that I have observed so far is a feeling of vulnerability in my left shoulder that discourages any usage for the time being. A similar thing had occurred 4 years ago while casually swimming in the sea, but after the homerus shifted out it went right back in, again followed by a feeling of instability and vulnerability.
Update: One thing I should also mention is that I've also experienced problems related to joint-weakness in my temporo-mandibular joint, and that I have sometimes felt like I couldn't rely too much on my hips either, so it seems like my joints in general may have issues.