what is the best way for me to copyright my own lyrics to a song ive written?

What  I've done, 'cause it's my understanding that it's legally recognized, e.g., if your name is John Doe and the year is 2019, to include at the end of a composition:

Copyright 2019 John Doe. 

1.) Place a copy of your song in an envelope

2.) On the back of the envelope, write the song title (this way you know which song is in the envelope)

3.) Handwrite your Return Address and the Delivery Address (which will be the same)

4.) Mail the copy of your song to yourself

5.) DO NOT open the envelope when it is delivered!

Handwriting your Return and Delivery Address proves that you mailed the envelope to yourself.

The envelope will have a Post Marked Date which will act as a Date Stamp indicating when the US Post Office (a Government Agency) received the envelope.

The reason why you DO NOT OPEN the envelope is to prove the contents were placed inside the envelope before it was sealed and then mailed. By doing this, it establishes the material was NOT added after the envelope was received and then opened.

Anyone can take an envelope which has already been delivered and put a document inside - which would NOT prove the contents was the original material that was mailed.

• Me2

Song copyright applies to lyric AND music.  Without both elements, it's not a song.

To assert copyright protection, register the work.  Read https://www.copyright.gov/registration/performing-... for details.  Electronic registration cost is about $35.  The service LadyMerton refers to costs triple for no real additional value.

(Tony B asserts that "copyright" as a verb has no validity, but the Merriam-Webster and Cambridge dictionaries disagree, illustrating it in noun, verb, and adjective contexts.)

You can mail a copy of them to yourself. Me personally, I publish them here under my log-in. Realize, of course, that if you aren't actually making recordings of them and selling them, why not let someone who is actually recoding use them? You can get half the royalties.

• Tony B

I have a feeling that you're not going to help here but, what do you mean by copyrighting lyrics?

To me I don't know of a way that you can “copyright” anything (using “copyright” as a verb - it's not something you “do”).

Added, see? I knew you wouldn't answer. I'm guessing you don't know what you mean either!

• Sky

When you create original content it is automatically protected by copyright law.

• Ben

Use the copyright symbol (the c with the circle around it)