Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Why would a new guy friend insist you share your secrets with him?

Yeah.. so I knew this guy but we became friends recently. He is very much interested to know about myself and my secrets. Though I resist sharing too much but I can see it a actually bothers him when I don't. But since I don't know him well I am not gonna. I just find it weird that's all..

• Foofa

This kind of premature forced intimacy is usually a sign of insecurity. He wants to have ammo to manipulate you with later should you ever displease him in the relationship.

He is a creep. i only tell personal stuff to people I've known for for at one year.

He is not well! Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! He is looking for information to use against you later. Avoid!

I don't even test people anymore with a thing I don't care if they repeat. Anyone who wants a lot of time with you and info from you, but is not feeling right in that time with you, is not giving the right type of info (boundary-breaker) themselves. Avoid!

• marty

My guess would be he is trying to find out how far you've gone or are willing to go (sexually). My daughters told me stories of some guys doing that to them.

Yeah. Weird. Be wary of guys like this. They will be glad to scandalize you amongst their friends, and yours, if they suddenly decide it would be "fun" to embarrass and humiliate you in public. Or he might just threaten to expose some secret of yours if you don't do something for him, like steal, or have sex, or whatnot. I met a guy once who called this :Now I've Got You, You SOB". I would suggest you turn the tables on him and ask him to share his secrets with you. And watch his body language to see if he is lying. (Do some research on the internet on how to tell if a person is lying.) He may fabricate all sorts of harmless quirks and then look smug and ask you to share yours. You could test him with some false piece of information about yourself, to see if that same info gets repeated somewhere, like on social media, or some teasing comment from one of his, or your, friends.

Not meaning to sound like this is from some television show - but what "secrets" are the big deal? I mean, if you're battling a terminal illness, have a dysfunctional family or maybe you have some embarrassing incidents that will change your friendship, I don't understand what "secrets" you'd have.

I would only share things with someone if it impacted the friendship. Otherwise, it's really no ones business and you don't want them using that information against you in the future. Maybe this guy thinks you're hiding something.

I don't even think your past with other guys is a "secret" - it's just life!! Maybe he wants to feel priviledged. If it's not something that will come up in your friendship in the future, keep it to yourself.