tayler asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

New dog peeing in the house?

I got a one year old dog yesterday from a family who’s having a baby so they had to give him up. I’ve taken him for numerous walks only one of which he peed outside. He’s peed in the house twice. His previous family said he’s potty trained and they let him out in their fenced yard. I’m not sure what to do as I don’t want to give him back but my landlords will kick me out if they know he’s going potty in the house.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Use a shock collar.

• 11 months ago

Have you taken him to the Vet since you got him? It could be a urinary infection that could be treated. Rule out any medical reasons that would cause this. If you get a clean bill of health, then you need to work on training him to go outside to potty. If you can, get a dog door where he can come & go at will/need.

Here are some sites that will help you learn how to go about teaching him now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=potty+training+a+o...

Google is a good search engine & it never fails.

They make belly bands for male dogs. See if something like that might help.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    11 months ago

He may be spraying/scent marking his new territory. It is most common with in nurtured dog's but there have been a few times it's happened with ones who are nuetured. However, this can also be sign of illnesses like kidney failure - I recommend taking him to see a vet if things don't improve or he starts to exhibit other symptoms of an illness.

• 11 months ago

So you are now finding out the TRUTH re why this poor dog lost his previous home. First of all, collect some of his urine and take it, fresh, with him to your vet for a full health check (you might collect some of his stool too for a fecal to see if he's carrying worms).

This poor dog has just lost his home and everything familiar so cut him some slack. Prevent/avoid and only once you can rule out a medical problem should you start to housetrain this dog, which has probably never been properly done. He probably spent most of his time shut out.

You must prevent him soiling indoors, especially if you are renting so back to puppy one which means taking him out immediately after each nap (and go with him to see what he's doing and when), after every meal, short periods of playing and for now, roughly every 2 hours extending to 4 as you get to grips with what's going on. When you can't supervise, use a crate or other confinement so he doesn't mess around the house. And confine overnight - you would be as well to take him out once overnight too, for now, because the fewer accidents he has, the faster he'll learn not to mess indoors.

Be calm with him, but be consistent - feed at regular times = knowing when he'll need to have a bowel movement. Digestion in the dog takes roughly 4 hours.

Praise when he empties outside. If after 5 minutes outside he does nothing, bring him back in and confine him to the room by the door to the outside - stay with him and if he squats, say No! and take him back outside. Correct ONLY in the act so he understands what you want. But above all, get his health checked, and be patient. Everybody will say the dog is house-trained when nine times out of ten, that's why he's out of a home. New baby or not (so sad).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

ANYONE who gives up their dog "because they are having a baby" should never hve a dog in the first place............ you can also be 100% sure they did not tell you the truth.

YOU need to train this dog and you have only had it 1 day... you treat it as a puppy, after eating, after waking and after playing ( or any excitement) and sometimes inbetween you take it outside stand silently until it toilets and then you add a command as it is actually doing it......at this point in time with huge changes in this dogs life it is something to expect and so you need to set a routine for this new dog and ONLY have it in a room where it is easy to clean up and no telling the dog off or you will make the issue worse

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

it may take some time for him to settle in and get in the groove.

• 11 months ago

Buy it a little nappy

• 11 months ago

Are you letting him out within 20 minutes every time after you feed him or give him water. And stay with him outside, until he does his business. And immediately praise him. He will learn that is what you want. It is a matter of patience on YOUR part.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.