Fluent speakers of English, I need your help with my English?

I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good as I'm not a native speaker. Should I change these lines to make it sound more natural? I'd appreciate any answers. [this is a historical and authentic eyewitness' account of a church closing process] “There was a crowd of people in the... show more I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good as I'm not a native speaker. Should I change these lines to make it sound more natural? I'd appreciate any answers.
[this is a historical and authentic eyewitness' account of a church closing process]

“There was a crowd of people in the church lobby.
The governor explained them in Russian that they need to close the church and ordered people to leave.
The people refused to obey his order.
Ultimately the police, wrestling the people, torn down the portraits that people were holding and broke the cross.
 As people refused to leave the church, the governor got angry and ordered the officers to drive them off with a whip.
Then most of the people left.
The remaining ones were beaten with whips and were forced out from the church.
The confrontation could have ended at this point but the governor probably wanted to show his power to later boast of supressing a rebellion.
The guards who were standing in the churchyard began to further beat the people who were running already covered in blood.
This was the last straw for the locals.
The fences rattled behind the churchyeard and the local residents, armed with sticks and bludgeons, attacked the Russian officials.”
1 answer 1