I would like to find a 3 bed house to rent with 2 friends in the UK. Keep getting rejected due to multiple occupancy legislati Any advice?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ignore the crap advice on here. You need to check with the local authority in each area to find out what their rules are. Where I live an HMO is defined as 5 unrelated people living in a property of three storeys or more. It is worth looking on Spareroom too.

Source(s): UK landlord.
    • Maxi
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Read the laws "at leat 3 tenants live there............you share kitchen, bathroom...." = HMO. 5 tenants is a 'large' HMO

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/houses-in-multiple-occupation

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have to look for HMOs as it is illegal to rent to three unrelated people without the property being registered and most residential landlords do not want to register their property as HMOs... generally because of the additional costs, inspection and because it attracts the wrong type of tenants they want...generally young and/or students

• 2 months ago

To rent a house out to three unrelated people, they need to be registered as a HMO (House of Multiple Occupation) and they need to be licenced by the local Council. Most landlords renting out a 3 bed house just find it easier and less hassle to rent to a family or couple.

You need to find a shared house with 3 empty rooms, or if you are students, you could find a student house that allows multiple occupants.

I also suggest you speak to a couple of local letting agents who can advise you

• 2 months ago

Speak to local lettings agencies about your requirements; or look on sites like SpareRoom

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.