Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

What is difference betwwen" how about "and " what about " ? Thank you.?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There really isn't any major difference, but intonation may give a clue. One possibility is how about could be taken as give this some thought (consideration) whereas what about could be interpreted as tell me about or expand on (whatever the subject is).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

"How about ...?" is usually used to make a suggestion or offer. "How about a drink?"

"What about ...?" can be a logical fallacy used in arguments. It used to be called in the Soviet Union "whataboutism," in other words, "Who are you to call the kettle black?" It attempts to deflect an accusation by accusing the accuser of something even worse [not necessarily even true].

--"You stole my chicken!"

--"Oh yeah? Well, what about the time you stole my horse?"

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In general, "How about" starts a suggestion. "How about pizza for dinner tonight?" "What about" refers to a problem or obstacle. "Let's go to Maui for two weeks." "What about the cats? Who'll feed them while we're gone?"

"How about you?" = " What's your opinion?"

"How about that!" = "That was exciting or surprising"

• 2 months ago

usually not much. it depends on context. what about is usually used to offer an objection, an exception to the rule. what about=have you considered? How about usually means "what happens if we use (something else) instead?

However, what about can be used to ask that question of the effect of this new thing, and how about can be used to argue that I do not think what you say is always true because here is an exception.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Four white guys or four black guys?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.