My family doesn't respect me or see any authority in me?

I took over my sister's lease because her boyfriend bought a house. The lease is under her boyfriend, my sister and her daughter. Her daughter had moved out because she couldn't afford to pay rent which is the reason why I ended up moving in. My sister's daughter ended up moving in with her dad but apparently he is moving out and doesn't want her to come along so he wants her to find her own place. My sister still calls my place her place because she's under the lease which I think is not right and she won't give me back the house key. And she is now forcing me to take her daughter in because of the fact that she is under their lease.

I think its disrespectful that she did not bother to at least ask me or talk to me about it. I know that the pros of letting her move in is that I will pay less rent. I am so bothered and so heated that I want to say no to her.

My sister keeps threatening me that she can cancel the lease if you wanted to.

What should I do?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Clearly not. But who cares. You're not tied into a lease, and keep in mind your sister (who sounds like a b*tch by the way) is depending on you to keep her daughters rent low. Move out, find another place to live, and let her daughter pay her way... although mammy will probably come to the rescue, in which case she is still paying for a place shes not living. Karma.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I own a few rental properties...

Unless your name is on the lease... it's the place of whomever's name is on it. If her name is on it, it's hers.

She really can't "just cancel" the lease, she would still ow the rent on it for the duration of the lease.

Depending on the lease, she may be in violation of the terms if she moved out and moved someone else in with out the owner or management knowing about it. \

If she has moved out, what is stopping you from getting your own lease with the landlord/management?

At best right now... you are a squatter.

• 2 months ago

maybe you should say no

• Lili
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Did you actually take over the lease - have it transferred into your name only? -- or is the lease still in the names of your sister, her boyfriend, and the daughter?

If the latter, you don't HAVE any "authority" here. Your sister holds the lease, and can insist that your niece live in the apartment. If the former, your sister cannot make any demands.

It sounds to me as though the lease is still in other people's names. You need to find a apartment of your own.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

"I took over my sister's lease"

That's not what happened here. You don't seem to think it matters much who is on the lease, but it's the ONLY thing that matters. Also, based on your comments, it sounds like this wasn't you doing her a favor. It was more like the reverse. I don't know how you ended up with all these people living with you not paying rent, but clearly some bad decisions were made along the way to get you into this mess. Most people just rent the place on their own and don't take in freeloaders.

I don't know what to tell you, but if this is your only living option, then of course you need to do what she says. It would be very different if you could get out on your own, but it doesn't sound like that. But for your own sake, stop trying to assert your "authority". You don't have any.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

When you stop paying the rent in behalf of your sister, she will quickly change her tune about whose place it is.

• Hannah
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

There's nothing you can do but try to get the lease actually signed over to you, have your niece move in or find your own place with your name on it.

• 2 months ago

Who is actually on the written lease?

This sounds mad. Review the legal paperwork and see who has the rights to live there.

• 2 months ago

Get your own place and distance yourself from those that would take advantage of you. They don't respect you because you let them walk all over you.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You are not on the lease. Move out. Let them deal with it.

• Kelly
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

she can't give you the unit, she doesn't own it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.