My cat is scratching herself a lot. Does that necessarily mean that she has fleas?

I noticed my cat has been scratching herself a lot more than usual lately. I think she may have fleas, but I'm not sure. She's never had fleas before, and we don't let her outside. The only thing I can think of is that there was a mouse in the apartment about a week ago that she chased around for... show more I noticed my cat has been scratching herself a lot more than usual lately. I think she may have fleas, but I'm not sure. She's never had fleas before, and we don't let her outside. The only thing I can think of is that there was a mouse in the apartment about a week ago that she chased around for about an hour. Could the mouse have had fleas? Is it possible for a mouse to give a cat fleas?

I don't want to give her flea treatment medicine unless I'm sure that she has fleas, but I also would like to avoid the vet bill if at all possible. Is there a way to accomplish both? If a cat scratches, does that always mean fleas or can it mean something else? Will flea treatment medicine hurt her if she doesn't have fleas? Are flea prevention medicine and flea treatment medicine the same thing? If it's not fleas, what do I do if her itching is coming from something other than fleas?

I apologize in advance for the number of questions, but I just don't know what to do here. Thanks.