Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 3 months ago

Green card through marriage process?


My parents do not agree to help my boyfriend get grewn card theough mareiage. However, i really want to help him. Will it be worth the risk? Should i do it behind their back?

8 Answers

  • 3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    You must earn enough to support yourself, plus any dependents you may have, plus the person you sponsor, and you must have a suitable home in the US for you & your fiancé/spouse (& any child you may have/expect). Living with mommy & daddy is not acceptable. You will need your current year paystubs + last 3 years of US income tax returns to prove you meet support requirements.

    You must also prove a valid in-person relationship. No "email pals." You must prove when, where, how often & how long you two have been together in-person, face-to-face, and that the relationship has developed into a committed marital relationship.

    For fiancé visa (K-1), you must be a US citizen. IF you meet all requirements, your fiancé waits in his country of citizenship. His visa interview, etc, will be scheduled at the US consulate nearest his home. IF approved, which can take a year or so, depending on his citizenship, he will receive a K-1 visa to enter US. You two must marry within 90 days of his arrival & file for Adjustment of Status. Takes about 6-9 months or so to get a green card. Then he applies for SSN in person at the nearest Social Security Administration office. Takes about 4 weeks to verify immigration status & receive his new Social Security card in the mail. Then he can start looking for work, etc.

    If married abroad, you return to US alone, leaving him in his own country, while you apply for CR-1 spouse visa. Typically takes longer than for fiancé visa - expect 1-2 years. After entering US on his visa, he will receive his temporary (conditional) green card within several weeks to a few months. Then he can apply for SSN, etc.

    IF you bf is not legally present in US, he must return to his own country, even if you marry. After he completes his bar to reentry, you can file for his spouse visa, but his record of lawbreaking will always be against him. If you two do not reside together during his bar, do not expect to be able to prove a valid, enduring marital relationship. As soon as he returns to his country, he can arrange for your immigration there. You can reside in his country. There is NO way to "legalize" any illegal alien, not even marriage.

  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

    Felony felony felony

  • 3 months ago

    talk to a lawyer but if he came here legally he can get an adjustment of status

  • 3 months ago

    It must be genuine.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    File form I-130

  • 3 months ago

    A marriage green card allows the spouse of a U.S. citizen or green card holder to live and work anywhere in the United States. A green card holder will have “permanent resident” status until they decide — if they wish — to apply for U.S. citizenship, for which they become eligible after three years

    • Mary3 months agoReport

      What if my parents does not agree to it because i’m only 21? Should i do it or no? 

  • 3 months ago

    If you and your spouse plan to live permanently together in the United States, the next big thing on your mind may be applying for a marriage green card.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.