Name the short story of a black woman that nurse a kkk old man who was racist to her?

There was a short story of a depressed woman who dropped out of college and moved back to her moms house but had to sleep in the garage. She became a health care aid through a temp agency and was sent to nurse an old man. She didn’t know he was in the kkk or that his wife was being rude and racist to her till her mind caught on. After he died the wife changed her heart and left her a big tip the agency wouldn’t let her keep. That made her want to change the world. Does anyone know the story?

Favorite Answer

I have read several similar to this over the years, every time the topic comes to the fore front, but I cannot remember a specific name for any of them. The one difference is that the could not have kept the care taker from accepting the money, if the wife "left" it like in a will.

Source(s): Published writer 50 years

I think it was a Stephen King short story. I do remember reading that one.

• phoebe

There's a novel with a similar premise: Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult