Anonymous

Am I wrong to request a coworker come with me on a business trip?

To start, I am asking all to be kind in your response, or please just don’t answer at all.

My boss is sending me on a trip to another state for training. For one, traveling wasn’t anywhere in the contract. I’ve also asked what the job entails and it was not mentioned in the interview by anyone (including the boss himself). With that being said alone, I could just say no. But, he is telling me it will benefit me like it did others and I need it for my position since I will be the “expert” in the software. Which brings me to my other issue: I’m going alone. Of course there’s Google to use, but I’ve never done this before in my life and I mentioned it numerous times too. When my other coworkers (who’ve been working in the same position under him for over 10 years) went to this same event, they were accompanied by him. Why can’t he go with me? In addition, I’m still fairly new to this position (6 months). He doesn’t want to go with me even when I told him I prefer for someone to go with me for at least the first trip.

Am I wrong for requesting someone to come with me? Also, am I overreacting for thinking and feeling I’m kind of being taken advantage of?

Please, be nice. Thank you.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Being taken advantage of? You're being offered an opportunity to grow and become the internal expert on something important, which sets you up for possible promotion in the future. Stop acting like a baby or they'll take that opportunity away from you.

It is wholly unreasonable to ask the company to send someone with you, especially someone who has already had the training. Grown ups travel by themselves. Grown ups take learning opportunities offered to them. Grown ups don't whine about it. So put your big-girl pants on and do what you're asked.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes you are wrong...however I won't waste my time as all you want is someone to agree with you!

• Eva
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You're acting like a baby. You don't need anyone to go with you. There is no logical reason for your boss to accompany you as he's already been to the training. You are not being taken advantage of. You are being offered further training at the company's expense and should jump at the opportunity. Your insecurities are showing.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes you are wrong. You are a grown up with a responsible job, not a minor. The Company is not going to pay double to give you someone to hold your hand. This is normal here in the UK, My son in IT travels everywhere by himself, I cannot see why you think you are being taken advantage of.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I can't figure out where you are coming from. Being taken advantage of? How? Ask your spouse or mother to accompany you, if you must travel with someone. Of course, don't expect the company to pay for that person. Yes, you are very wrong asking your employer to have someone travel with you. Why should he spend double because you won't fly alone? He is probably too busy to accompany you and doesn't have business there this time. Why should he do without another employee for the time away, and pay them to NOT do their work while they are gone, and pay their trip expenses too? Your asking is not just unreasonable. It's ridiculous.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A company sends people for training when they think it will benefit the company, not to hold someone's hand or keep them from getting lonely. Yes, sorry, but you're totally wrong here.

• 2 months ago

Since you say "state", we can surmise you are in the USA. It is unlikely that you have an employment contract. Instead you probably have an employment agreement. They are not the same thing.

- You can say "no" all you want to the business trip and the boss can legally so "ok, we will replace you with someone who is willing to do all the tasks the job requires. Please pack your desk. We'll send you your final check".

I doubt your co-workers needed your boss to go with them. S/he did because he needed to learn the software too at that time. Now they are trained and you aren't, so go learn.

- If you are completely unable to travel by yourself, ask a friend or family member to go with you. You will need to pay for this (not the company). They can sightsee during the day when you are at the class.

"feeling I’m kind of being taken advantage of? " grow up. You are being offered the chance to learn a new valuable skill. One that is going to get you other jobs in the future. The company is footing the entire bill for this.

- IT'S A GREAT OPPORTUNITY.

• 2 months ago

I'd ask if there's anyone who should come to refresh their skills, but at the end of the day you're an adult and should be able to handle it.

So handle it, fake it 'till you make it. Clearly he has faith that you can handle yourself, so rather than be afraid try to be confident.

"Believe in the me that believes in you." - Kamina

Keep all your receipts, record your mileage, verify all your reservations before you leave.

And try to network, you never know when someone you meet at this thing might have a job offer for you. Rub elbows, and enjoy yourself. It's a sponsored vacation!

• Erik
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why do you care if someone goes with you? You're an adult. You can request it, but I'm assuming your company is paying the expenses. They don't want to double up if there's no reason.

If you're asking for advice, when my boss tells me to do something, I just do it. I don't tell him all the reasons I don't want to do it.

• Erik
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I guess by "kind" you meant "not telling you anything you didn't want to hear". A lot of people on here do that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.