James asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 months ago

Was I being rude here?

I am tired of being expected to tip for less and less service. Today I actually called a restaurant and asked for take out rather than delivery. I went to the place and guess what? A tip jar with a super tacky note about how their "girls need to have funds" (because they somehow get away with only hiring female workers) and when I went to pay in credit card- I saw a default tip of 15 percent had already been filled out. This really pissed me off. I drove myself to the restaurant and here Im supposed to tip this chick for handing me something.

I gladly changed the default 20 percent thing to zero and said "hey it is really tacky that they are basically guilt tripping customers into tipping- I mean already having the option of 20 percent filled out?When it is the take out register?? Her response was like "ummm well......like they don;t pay us money". I just told her to work someplace else then and it isnt my problem. I shouldn't have to tip unless I actually got served.

• Foofa

Tipping culture has really gotten out of control of late. It was wrong for them to tack a tip onto a takeout order and it was doubly wrong for this worker to complain about her wage to a customer.

• falcon

No ,not at all this is ridicules

• GEEGEE

Yes. You should have just crossed out the tip amount, inserted a zero, and walked away. Sure venting made YOU feel better but you barked at a person who probably cannot even use the restroom without asking first.

I wouldn't tip in that situation either

You were not rude to cross off the tip. It's crazy to automatically add a tip for a take out order. Tips are voluntary especially when there is no table service.

You WERE rude to comment about it. The counter help doesn't make policy. If you want to complain about the policy, ask to speak to the manager. You don't tell an employee to quit their job. (Granted, her response to your complaint was also inappropriate).

Referring to women as "chick" is also rude. Chicks are immature chickens - one of the stupidest animals on the planet. That word is an insult.

maybe you should go eat at mcdonalds then

• susan

Writing tip: this would be more believable if you hadn't changed the automatic gratuity from 15 to 20 percent in the middle of your story.

You should have asked her number and what she would do after hours for that tip. She sounds desperate

No I don't think the tip should be automatically added, that's ridiculous.

they didn't microwave the meal. it was cooked.

• James4 months agoReport

And it was hardly cooked- it was a fast casual place. Like a chipotle. Not an individual meal.