123person asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

My ferret’s conjunctivitis is not clearing up. What should I do now?

Week 1: Her right eye would not open. Vet did a test to make sure she didn’t scratch her cornea, cornea is fine. He said she has conjunctivitis and prescribed eye drops.

Week 2: eye still isn’t opening fully, he prescribed a different, stronger type of eye drops.

Week 3: eye still isn’t opening, he said give the newer eye drops for another week.

Week 4: we are now in the fourth week and her eye still isn’t responding to the eye drops.

I’m not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Dr. K on the Animal Planet specializes in Exotics, in Houston, Texas.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

There's nothing we can advise you as we are not trained veterinarians, but if you feel like your current vet isn't much use them try a different one.

• 2 months ago

Most forms of this condition are self-limiting and will clear up without treatment.

If there really is a bacterial infection, a broad-spectrum antibiotic may help clear it up quicker – but not by much! Studies show that the condition resolves half a day faster with an antibiotic compared to no medical treatment. Even a bacterial conjunctivitis will typically clear up in 5 days on its own, but four and a half days with an antibiotic.

Cold compresses and artificial tears can relief symptoms. Use preservative-free lubricating drops, available from your pharmacy. Apply a cool pack from the freezer at regular intervals to the eye area.

Remember! This condition is highly contagious! Wash your hands with disinfectant regularly. It is almost impossible to prevent the spread to your other eye, which is why the condition almost always affects both eyes.

• 2 months ago

I would suggest taking her back to the vet, so they can change her meds again since the one she was given still aren't working.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.