Erica asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 4 months ago

physics question?

Describe qualitatively the acceleration acting on a ball moving inward with constant speed along a spiral ramp (be specific - describe the direction of motion (speed and velocity), and the magnitude and direction of acceleration as ball moves on ramp).

• NCS
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure what "moving inward... along a spiral ramp" means. I suspect it means that the centripetal acceleration (directed towards the vertical axis of the ramp) causes the ball to "fall in" toward the axis even while its tangential speed keeps its distance from the axis fixed.

Constant speed means just that -- the magnitude of the velocity is constant even though its direction is constantly changing (and is parallel to the ramp / perpendicular to the radius). The net vertical acceleration must be zero, and that must be due to friction cancelling out gravity.

I hope this is what you are looking for.