? asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

What is Luck and where does it come from?

I have been fairly lucky my whole life (and I am not talking about gambling). There has been many times where I do really stupid things (which would have seriously injured most people), and I have remained unscathed; examples of this are nasty dirt bike crashes, car crashes, falling off a ledge, and much more. Also, I would go to raffles, and pull a random raffle ticket and end up winning something where no one of my friends does.

I have been told that luck is a result of setting yourself up for success, but none of the things that I have mentioned were that at all, in fact either I did not try at all or I set myself up poorly.

Where does luck like this come from?

I can't say, I've only ever seen one car crash in my life after 1.25 million miles of driving b trucks. Last year I was still able to tell people I've never even seen a crash happen. Never been in one aside from a bumper bump that broke a rear window. However, I've been unlucky in many other things. Financially, the world is always sending con artists my way, while I always give people an honest and good deal in return. That's losing on both ends of every deal... I'm used to having things taken from me and people blame all of my financial problems on my willingness to part with things. Luck is not going to follow you in every aspect of life. Don't bet on it anyways, it could even cost you your life.

• LP7

Eye hand co-ordination and a charismatic personality

Most "luck" is preparation meeting opportunity. I've been unscathed in dirt bike "get-offs. Good helmet, neck brace, boots and pads. With the car crashes, full containment seats, head and neck restraints, and correct harnesses. No luck at all.

that is one question there is no answer to.

What I'm hearing is a mix of statistics and confirmation bias. If it's a one in a million chance, that happened ten thousand million times in the whole world of 6 billion people. Ten thousand million people came out of car crashed unscathed. Once 6 billion people fall without a parachute, ten thousand million of them will be fine.

If there's any pseudo- "magical" luck it' in those chances. Not paying attention is a character trait that makes you unlucky in a dog park. There is zero chance of stepping in poop in a cleanroom laboratory no matter how unlucky you are. Of the 6 of you who pull raffle tickets, there may be a 1 in 6 chance of pulling the winner. You have the tendency to go first, or third or last. Oddly enough there tends to be an equal diffusion across things like this. Some people use algorithms to win at casinos knowing, say, every 3rd, 7th, 10th, and 21st draw is a winner 92% of the time. Your impulses place you on those points by "luck."

i dont think its luck , maybe god was protecting you