Guy friend wants to meet me at a hotel - should I go? Can I trust that he doesn’t have bad intentions?

Me and this guy work for the same company but in different offices, we met at a Christmas event that our company had last year. We swapped numbers and we’ve been texting and having phone calls on and off since then, and we get on really well. Our relationship is just at a friendship level and we both have discussed... show more Me and this guy work for the same company but in different offices, we met at a Christmas event that our company had last year. We swapped numbers and we’ve been texting and having phone calls on and off since then, and we get on really well. Our relationship is just at a friendship level and we both have discussed this, and although we flirt sometimes in a joking way we get on really well as friends.

The issue is that he lives up north and I live near London so because of the distance we haven’t actually met up since the event. He’s always expressed an interest in meeting up and just recently he suggested we meet up halfway between where we both live and get a hotel together.

I know what men are like and I know how it sounds, normally a man wanting to meet up in a hotel means he’s after one thing. But I discussed this with him and he says no it’s just because we both live so far away it’s more convenient if we are gonna hang out for the day to get a hotel and drive home the next morning. Should I trust him? I need advice please?! By the way I’m 20 and he is 22.