Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 8 months ago

Is playing hard to get the dumbest dating advice ever?

I mean for real your better off just asking someone out then doing that. If you don’t seem interested if he or she has a little interest it may be lost. If there is no interest there may never be any. Come on you have to show a little interest. Who comes up with this kind of stuff? For real

• Janet
    Favorite Answer

When you play hard to get, you send one or two messages:

(1) I don't LIKE you, so go away.

(2) I'm selfish and a gameplayer, so you would have to be self-destructive to want me.

And the more insecure the person is, the more they will assume you are rejecting them, so the more they will respond by avoiding you.

If someone plays hard to get with me, I give up and move on.

• donnie

Like I told someone yesterday. This is some of the worst advice out there. If them not seeming interested is not a turn off then fear of rejection will probably make it a much less chance they will ever make a move. It’s a childish game played by immature and desperate people. Unfortunately people who are desperate will take the advice and end up where they are now. Other people should know better.

Pretty close to the dumbest advice, yeah. Thing is that a lot of adolescent high-schoolers think that's how you're supposed to act to attract people without realizing that the only people you're going to attract like that are shallow, insecure and immature.

That type of game playing might appeal to people who have antiquated notions about gender roles/dating or to people who are immature/insecure.

I personally find that type of behavior to be a real turn off. I'm looking for a partner who I can take at face value and who takes me at face value. Failure to have sincere, honest and direct communication is a big reason relationships fail. It's a skill I'm specifically looking for. If people do/say the opposite of what they mean and think it's "cute", they get crossed off my list real quick.