bizz
Lv 5
bizz asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Diego · 2 months ago

Has anyone successfully crossed into Mexico using the San ysidro gate in San Diego without a passport (just a govt id)?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure, prior to the Patriot Act that was done all the time. But the rules changed in 2001.

• 2 months ago

I managed to get into Canada & back into the US with just my driver's license. This was in 2017. Though doing this is probably more difficult on our Southern border??

• Eastside Guz
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

No problem crossing Mexico within so many kilometers after that you need a tourist visa aka FMM

• 2 months ago

The problem is not so much getting into Mexico-- it's getting back into the US. You can't do it without a passport or passport card. So they've gotten stricter about letting you into Mexico because they know you won't be able to get out.

• Eastside Guz
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Here's a list of 'government' IDs you can use. You could with just one but they might send you to secondary inspection for 20 plus or minus questions: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3618/~/u.s.-citizens---documents-needed-to-enter-the-united-states-and%2For-to-travel

• 2 months ago

i want to go to mexico

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.