Can I upgrade my computer?

I remember reading a while back that MS will not longer support Windows 7. Should I just upgrade to Windows 10? My trusty old dependable desktop will tolerate this, won't it? Can I do this from home without taking it to a shop?

You probably should due to security reasons. If windows 10 doesn’t suit you, you can always try out Linux

• stan l

I've done it to 5 desktops/laptops in the last 18 months. One just two weeks ago on which I had to first install a new motherboard and W7. So the upgrade can still be done for free.

Still a free upgrade to 10 for all properly registered full retail versions of Win 7. Search Google how.

Easy download of the upgrade tool, self installing of files. Save personal data files and let it run a couple hours by itself.

Microsoft provides a free tool that will tell you if your computer can be upgraded to windows 10. google will find it

• P

It's extremely easy to do yourself, but the licence is expensive enough to the point where I would suggest holding off and just putting it toward something new.  Windows 10 will slow it down a lot unless you also upgrade to a SSD hard drive. 

• David

there is still a free upgrade path from windows 7 to windows 10

After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7 so you have some time left. Here's what it takes to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet:

Latest OS: Make sure you're running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1.

Find out which version you're running.

Need the latest version? Download Windows 7 SP1 .

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS

Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

Display: 800 x 600

I suggest you upgrade to Windows 8.1. Here is how:

https://newatlas.com/upgrade-windows-7-to-windows-...

• Starrysky

Go directly to 10 (if your hardware qualifies)

• Dformd

You always want the latest.

Can you do it? Sure. Should you do it? Probably not...unless you are a computer geek.

If you're a casual user and have no clue about hard disk partitioning, file backups, and other things you need to do to switch over your OS, then hire someone to do it for you.

And were I you, I'd hold onto my WIN7 until it dies on you. Even then I'd hire a third party provider who has a master disc for WIN7 and can re-load you with WIN7 and your own apps and files.