Why would a creditor take back a charged off account from a collection agency?

Well I fell for a scam with a debt relief company awhile back and they are supposed to send me money that I'm due but that's another story. I am trying to work out my debt myself either by settling or arranging payments without hopefully having to go through bankruptcy. I know pretty much where my accounts... show more Well I fell for a scam with a debt relief company awhile back and they are supposed to send me money that I'm due but that's another story. I am trying to work out my debt myself either by settling or arranging payments without hopefully having to go through bankruptcy. I know pretty much where my accounts are at with everything except the one. I would call and get different stories and even told to contact their branch in the UK which they didn't even have my account. I spoke with an internal collections agent earlier and she stated something which I think is odd. My account is charged off and she said they sent it to a 3rd party debt collection agency but they recently got it back. I have an account balance owed on it as of now of about $10,000 even though about half of that is fraudulent due to the so called debt relief company. So I am just wondering the reasoning behind why one of my credit card companies that the debt charged off was sent back to them.