Wireless card suddenly quit picking up any signals (desktop)?

Suddenly the wireless card on my desktop computer isn't picking up any signal, from my modem or any modems nearby. My laptop picks up my modem signal fine, and I reset the modem just to be sure. In Windows control panel it says my wifi card is working properly. I can pick up signals normally when I install a WLAN adapter. System restore did not fix the problem. What else can I try?

• P
    Favorite Answer

Those cards do go bad.  You should try a new wifi card.  They are inexpensive.

• ShannonW10 months agoReport

It started working by itself, then quit working and now it's working again. I think it must be going bad. I'll buy a new one, thanks again.

• BigE

Check to see if you've disconnected the antenna cable. Most desktops have a cable that attaches to the board and is integrated into the case.

• ShannonW10 months agoReport

It started working, quit, and then later started again. Before I buy a new card, I'll check the connection. Maybe it's loose. Thanks for your answer.

Thanks, I have one in a box from a few years ago. Are they interchangeable?