mae asked in PetsCats · 3 months ago

Does my cat have worms?

Today my cat jumped up on the desk to eat and i noticed something hanging from his anus.

I went over and immediately noticed that whatever it was smelled HORRIBLE. I thought it was a worm until i got a paper towel and just wiped it up no problem.

The color was yellowish/kinda white. Not translucent. It wasn t moving either.

My mother said it was a tapeworm but from pictures this looks nothing like what i wiped up. Should i go to the vet? What was it?

My cat didnt seem concerned or in pain, more annoyed that i was rooting around under his tail for evidence of little rice segments which i didnt find.

I am so confused. Help!

Your vet can usually diagnose worms with a physical exam, examination of a stool sample under a microscope, or by sending a stool sample to a laboratory for complete testing. Your vet also might order blood tests to get a complete picture of your cat's health.

• John

i would go ahead and take him in. even if it's not worms, it could be something else. having something other than poo on his butt isn't normal so it's best to go in just in case it's something bad.

A picture would have helped.

Tapeworm segments are little things that look like uncooked rice or sesame seeds. They generally don't stink.

Your cat could have an anal gland problem (anal gland juice smells AWFUL) or your cat could have eaten a foreign object.

Hard to say without witnessing it...

• Maxi

Whatever it was it was not normal............ so you need to take your cat to the vets to find out and get the cat treated, it is more likely to be a UTI

Yes, your cat has worms, and what you found was a tapeworm. There's no need to go to the vet, however. You can buy wormer that will kill tapeworms over the counter at most feed and pet stores. Just make sure that you get a product which is made for cats, and which has the ingredient praziquantel in it. Then simply follow the label directions and add it to your cat's food the next time you feed him.

I just treated my dog for tapeworm this same way last weekend, and she's fine. This particular wormer has few if any side effects, and virtually no resistance issues.