Another artist has the same name as me. We both illustrate the same thing also (wildlifeart). Any advice of what to do?

So I’m developing my skills to become a wildlife artist but I have found another more established artist with the exact same forename and surname as me. Unfortunately our styles share similarities and I know that most artists just go by their name. Should I change my name and if so are there an examples of artists who have done so?

Thanks!

• Tim D

Adopt un nom de pinceau.

• mars

You may have to use a 'Pen-name'.

Use your middle name and last name. Or change your signature to look different than theirs.

Get an alias. (add or subtract a few letters from your name) The other guy is more established.

Peace.

• Lili

Given that the other artist is more established, he or she has the prior claim on using the name professionally. You should make just a slight change. You can use a middle initial, for example, or choose to use just your first name or just your last name. Or use a nickname for your first name. It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something.

You might want to contact the other artist and negotiate an approach to this problem.

I can't think of other contemporary artists who have this issue, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised if some do. I know of some who've had it in the relatively distant past. Art historians and critics simply have to be specific when they are writing.