Another artist has the same name as me. We both illustrate the same thing also (wildlifeart). Any advice of what to do?

So I’m developing my skills to become a wildlife artist but I have found another more established artist with the exact same forename and surname as me. Unfortunately our styles share similarities and I know that most artists just go by their name. Should I change my name and if so are there an examples of artists who have done so?

Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Tim D
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Adopt un nom de pinceau.

• Login to reply the answers
  • mars
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

You may have to use a 'Pen-name'.

• 4 months ago

Use your middle name and last name. Or change your signature to look different than theirs.

• 4 months ago

Get an alias. (add or subtract a few letters from your name) The other guy is more established.

Peace.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Given that the other artist is more established, he or she has the prior claim on using the name professionally. You should make just a slight change. You can use a middle initial, for example, or choose to use just your first name or just your last name. Or use a nickname for your first name. It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something.

You might want to contact the other artist and negotiate an approach to this problem.

I can't think of other contemporary artists who have this issue, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised if some do. I know of some who've had it in the relatively distant past. Art historians and critics simply have to be specific when they are writing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.