Are income investments better than capital gains investments?

Update: I am 41 years old and I figure I have 29 years until my planned retirement. It is my goal by retirement to have a house, enough money in the bank to cover a year if my income source stopped, and a guaranteed monthly income of at least 2000USD. Currently, I have 17000 invested in US treasuries which bring me about... show more I am 41 years old and I figure I have 29 years until my planned retirement. It is my goal by retirement to have a house, enough money in the bank to cover a year if my income source stopped, and a guaranteed monthly income of at least 2000USD. Currently, I have 17000 invested in US treasuries which bring me about 600 a year. I have 25000 USD in a saving account that generates 40 USD a month. I figure if I would need 900000 if I wanted to live off the interest on my savings account.
Update 2: I currently have 1160 as a monthly income. I am currently in between jobs as am awaiting papers to work in China. I am a US citizen and the job i have lined up in China would pay about 11000 yuan per month which would equal about 1500 per month. As my housing is included and meals while working I am likely to be... show more I currently have 1160 as a monthly income. I am currently in between jobs as am awaiting papers to work in China. I am a US citizen and the job i have lined up in China would pay about 11000 yuan per month which would equal about 1500 per month. As my housing is included and meals while working I am likely to be able to save 1800 per month as I do not party much. I also figure I will earn from private tutoring and selling homemade soaps.