Should i get stratocaster, telecaster, or jazzmaster?

currently i play acoustic guitar and wanna play and learn electric guitar

mostly i play jazzy kinda vibe song, a lil' bit lo-fi, rock-ish, pop, pop-jazz

and suggest me with the pick ups as well if you could ^^

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Tony B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

You need to try those guitars for yourself and see which you prefer the sound and the feel of.

Personally, I'd pick a Tele because that's my favourite guitar. A Stratocaster is a great guitar too and has more sounds and the whammy bar. I have to admit that I've never played a Jazzmaster but they're not as popular as the other two and some people son't like the bridges and the switching system. Don't be misled by the name - it's not a popular guitar for jazz.

The pickups come with the guitar. If you don't like the sound of the pickups then don't buy the guitar.

Regarding Robert¡s advice, I too would suggest you looked at guitars with humbucking pickups, I didn't mention this though as you offered a “short list” of guitars so I assumed you'd already decided on single coils.

• 2 months ago

Play guitars with both single-coil and humbucker pickups and see which tonal range you prefer, then look at guitars with the appropriate pickups.

Historically, Fender / Squier have mostly single coil pickups and Gibson / Epiphone mostly humbuckers.

Humbuckers, if properly wired, can be switched to single coil mode - but single coils cannot be switched to humbuckers.

See the "Jimmy Page" style mods for Gibson style guitars to see how versatile they can be. It's based on pots with push-pull switches so totally invisible and reversible.

The standard mod gives 21 pickup combinations, vs. five on a typical Strat etc:

http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com/2012/11/wiring...

• 2 months ago

Go sit in a music store and play the ones your interested in to get a feel for what you want.... I have a strat. But I do like the telecaster a lot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.