How did your parents shape your spiritual or religious beliefs when you were a child?

I don't think "shaping" a person's religious perspective can be a matter of force...

Although I do absolutely none of the things required by the religion my tyrant mom force me to attend the talks for and of... I know the doctrine itself is real... because life couldn't be more inconvenient without it.

Even if I weren't forced to wake up at the buttcrack of dawn and attend Sunday sermons... and get thumped on the ear by an over-caffeinated member that didn't understand why I didn't laugh about it... the information conveyed on the stage is what it is.

So, in the end, Murphy's Law is real, science is real... and so is God.

If it's easy it's not the truth.

(These aren't the literal wordings or lessons told... just the way I'm explaining my answer... and how I took it all in...)

If it's inconvenient, stressful, full of judgment and punishment... it is absolutely the reality of things.

If I'm being told that I'm not going to make it... and I've heard that from many sources both religious, secular and Earthly... it has usually been accurate. 

Little is known about the effects of religious beliefs and practices on adolescents of parents. Yet religious beliefs and practices have the potential to profoundly influence many aspects of life, including approaches to upbringing. This is particularly relevant in contemporary British society with a diversity of religious affiliations.

Research:

Explores differences and similarities in upbringing beliefs and practices between members of the same and different faith communities;

Records the views of parents and young people as religious beliefs and the impact of practices on family life, parental interactions and good enough parents'; And

Identifies ways in which faith communities, religious authorities, and voluntary and statutory agencies can better support families.

They let me believe what I wanted to, although it took my mom a lot to come around to that.

by going to church every week.  I also went to a christian elementary school.   I was baptized at age 17 by my own will.....  I just think being a Christian is a right for me and not an obligation.  

It was a rule that we had to go to Sunday school and church because my dad went. He came from a very religious family. My mother never went because she "didn't like the women of the church." I quit going sometime in my mid teens and my beliefs have gone back and forth from Christian to agnostic all my life. 

Sunday school and church.

They didn't. They were not Christians back then. But, they attended church, anyway. then almost suddenly, we ALL (parents, my two older brothers, and I) felt the pull of the Holy Spirit, and we ALL went forward at the alter call, and were surprised to see each other do the same thing. I was about 11 years old, the youngest. We all were baptized at the next baptismal service. We all have been Christians since.

My parents changed their religion in the mid 1930's after their firstborn was killed aged 5. They went along with a proselytizing group who promised them their child would soon be resurrected on to a paradise earth. This meant that when I was born many years later, I and my siblings were taught that religion, and to have the same expectations. The good thing about that was that my parents taught me to memorize lots of Bible verses. Not so good was that, because I had the religion's beliefs drummed into me and had no knowledge of any other beliefs, I became a keen practitioner. But on the plus side it also meant we were sheltered from many of the vices of the world as this was an exclusive group that did not mingle with others.

However, when my mother died, her firstborn was still in his unmarked grave. Many years later, my father also died disappointed. In the meantime, I had re-read the Bible and discovered that many of the things they had taught me to believe were simply not true. In my mid-20s I decided to reject the false teachings, stick to the true ones, and because of that, I had to leave that denomination. But the grounding they had given me in the Bible continued to serve me well, as I could then stick to what the Bible said and join a local Christian group that taught the Bible diligently.

My parents were sincere and caring, so that was the main factor in having a good upbringing. They also instilled in to me a respect for the Bible and that continues, to this day. They had been misled in certain respects, but I could never hold that against them, given the circumstances. I am very grateful for my parents' diligence in trying, to the best of their understanding, to help me respect God and His word. Spiritually, all that was wrong with my parents was that they did not have Jesus in the right 'place'. Once that became clear to me, the adjustment changed my life forever, and for the better.

• KinWin

By making sure everything that I learn comes absolutely from the bible not from man made teachings, idols or false Gods.. JWforLife

My parents always respected me and so, never tried to force me believe in a puppet flying in the sky, or believe in a fairy tale.

That is why I remained an atheist.

Source(s): ♥ Thank you mom and dad!