Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

US police scenario. If a criminal shoots at a police officer (but misses) then stops shooting and runs away from the police, do the police?

Have the right to shoot him in the back while the criminal is running away? The criminal still has the gun, but he is not pointing it at the police. Please explain Why or Why Not?

Best Answer

By opening fire he has proven that he is willing to take a life.

By retaining the weapon he has shown that he has not stopped his attack, If that was his intent the first thing he would do is disarm himself.

I think as they were fired on and the shorter still has his guns its fair for the police to use deadly force.

Why Not? Cops shoot down unarmed Blacks and get away with it. Like Dirty Harry said, "Make my day !"

Legal or not, dept will cover it up. Like Ferguson, Jose Guerena, etc.

,

Cops drew on me, I was unarmed, told me :"Hit the Dirt!" I said, " No, this is my brand new shirt" (my sister just gave it to me, she'd bought it in Thailand).She got down, , I grabbed her arm, I said "No White American groels in the sand!" We walked away, No one :"shot". Eventually, one ran me down., all This over some firecrackers....

• Bruce

Cover Up? Like Ferguson? You are grossly misinformed.

• Bruce

Prior to 1985, police were allowed to shoot anyone running that was suspected of a felony.

That changed when the US Supreme Court heard the case of Tennessee v. Garner. Police can now only shoot if they believe allowing the person to escape would be a danger to society.

In your example, he is still a danger as long as he is still holding the gun. He can turn and shoot at anytime.

Edit: I see someone gave the US Constitution a "thumbs down". If you Google "Fleeing Felon Rule" and "Tennessee v Garner" you will see the information I provided is correct.

• Bruce

You are way off course. A cop drawing a gun is totally different than a cop being shot at. You should seek help.

• Archer

Understand that if he is stupid enough to shoot at a police officer the line of thought is he would not hesitate to do harm or kill an innocent. They will take him out by any means possible to include deadly force.

Are cops uncircumcised

• John

Shoot at a police officer and you're a dead duck, coming or going.

• Anon2 months agoReport

No, a creep shot at a cop, hit him in belt buckle. No serious injuries to cop. 4 hours later, creep surrendered. No one "dead".. This is an exception; many Wyatt Earps in my state shoot first, questions later.

If they thought he was going to murder other people because he's obviously shooting the guns at people, I think there could be an argument for the cops that, perhaps they were shooting at him in defense of others, even if danger ended for themselves. Depends on the totality of the situation I guess.