Coworker being rude?

So I work as an admin assistant & today my coworker talked about how she was going to take a few weeks off during Christmas week. The 23rd of December to the 3rd of Janurary. Keep in mind I have covered for her shifts twice now and those few times were for 2 weeks and 10 hours a day and never once did she ever ask me if I could cover for her, she’d just request the time off and waits for the boss to approve. I found out by another coworker that she was suppose to be asking me before she even request the time off. So when she brought up how she was going to request the 23rd of December to the 3rd of janurary off, I told her that I wanted to request just one day off which was the 23rd of December since it’s going to be my baby’s birthday & he’ll be turning 1. She looked upset & told me “but didn’t you say at your interview that you would cover for anyone at anytime” (when I was interviewed for the position, she was given the opportunity to participate in the interview so she could pick who she’d be comfortable working with and she chose me) I was super mad but I remained calm & told her “but I’m just requesting one day off and the 23rd of December is my baby’s birthday” & she didn’t care. She just said “okay, well you can have the other admins from the other locations cover for you then.” I just felt soooo disrespected because I have covered for her so many times & she won’t cover for me for ONE day. Is it better to confront my coworker about it or talk to my boss.

Never tell your coworker your requested day off, many of them will say, "But I wanted that day off!" I know this from experience. Whoever filled out their request for time off first and turned it in to the boss receives priority.

life is too short to fight with co workers

• zipper

She is not being rude, it is up to your boss to ask you if you can do it; NOT HER!

One should respect each other at work. Someone's rank is bigger than somebody's. But nobody's job is small. Honoring someone brings honor. People do not always have the same mood. Therefore, if someone is angry, he should speak with a smile .

complain to your boss against him/her.

• Go to your HR department immediately and they will guide you in the right direction according to your company's policies

• GEEGEE

You have a solution. She told you that one of the other admin assistants could cover for you. She has seniority so her request for time off would be given priority over yours anyway. Many people want time off during the December holidays so lesson learned is to put in requests early. Your baby does not know the date of his/her birthday, so you can have the a celebration on any day you choose, including a weekend. Making a fuss at work over this issue is unlikely to be worth it.

• B

go to your boss and ask for your days and leave the other employee out of it

• ?

You need to talk to the boss. Leave out the part about your feelings.

They may be able to get a temp or something.

Vacation goes by tenure (she's got that one) but she's being greedy about it.

And she is not being rude. She's being inconsiderate.

How long have you known that it is going to be your baby's birthday on the 23rd? Why have you not already booked that day off if it is so important to you? For important dates in the year, book them off as soon as you can, even if it is months away. Yes, your co worker may be rude, but you are not faultless in this.