Dina B asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 months ago

What's the most misused word in the English language? "Laid" or "literally"?

• Raven

"Literally" is VERY, VERY INFREQUENTLY USED INCORRECTLY. People who claim this everywhere, have apparently somehow managed to never beome aware of the existence of SARCASM! ....And no, "everywhere" has not been used incorrectly here, either. But rather, I actually KNOW ENGLISH and I therefore ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF "COLLOQUIAL". And sarcasm.

I literally think that literally is literally the most misused English word literally of all time

I would say 'literally'

Do you know what 'virtually' means, or 'didactic' or 'coined' or 'begs the question'? All these words are misused by 90% of English speakers. Second language English speakers are more likely to be correct.

• In

Figuratively speaking, "literally" is the most misused.

• Matt

Definitely "Litterally" Its often used inappropriatelyand as a sometimes confusing exageration while "laid "s commonly used to mean ****ed sexually and is accepted as such by many.

But thats between those 2 you sugfested, im sure the truely most misused word is something else.

• Lôn

LIKE!!..... I was LIKE walking along when a girl LIKE walked towards me, she was LIKE "hi there handsome' ..and I was LIKE 'what?'

• edward

The word “like” everyone uses it like all the time and it’s not like i’m comparing two things, and like, it doesn’t mean i enjoy something itms just like...yes.

"Hopefully" meaning "it is to be hoped," rather than the real meaning, "in a hopeful manner." Also, "begs the question." And "like," not as a filler word but as a conjunction.

Literally. This word became exhausting because "LITERALLY" everyone says it out of context. Literally.