Would I be right to ask for a promotion then quit my job if I'm told that I won't get it?

Due to personal reasons I had to move 50 miles from my job. My parents feel that I should be looking for a job closer to my new location and there's no real reason for me to keep working at my present job. We recently had some positions come open and I would like to do an internal application. If I was able... show more Due to personal reasons I had to move 50 miles from my job. My parents feel that I should be looking for a job closer to my new location and there's no real reason for me to keep working at my present job.

We recently had some positions come open and I would like to do an internal application. If I was able to get the position I want it would be a major promotion, a much better job with a nice increase in pay. Honestly, I don't think I have a very good chance of getting it. It was offered to a couple other people who turned it down but my parents said if I get the position, I should stay for awhile longer.

The problem is I have to start looking for a closer job and once I'm told "no", I'm going to have to put in my 2 week notice. I'd really love the promotion because it would be an excellent opportunity for me, but it makes me feel like an @ss to quit after I don't get it. 50 miles is just too far to drive for a crappy entry level job with a small wage. It's just too much car expense for $10/hr. If I get the promotion, I would get $16/hr and better hours.