Why does my grandmother want to be alone?

My grandmother is starting to have Dementia, she forgets stuff and forgets her kids names and also what day it is! She also does not take showers, she just washes herself up with soap and water, and also gets very angry fast and irritated! She has lived by herself for 10 years because her husband died! At first we lived in a different town and she cried to my mom on the phone and said she wants us living with her in her trailer because she is scared and does not want to be alone and says she does not have enough money! Than we moved in on August the 1st and got settled in! Now it is almost October and she now wants us out of her trailer saying she wants to be alone! My mom believes she thinks my gram does not want to be in our way of living our life! She also thinks she is nervous with us living with her! She sleeps all the time in the morning and has a hard time sleeping at night! She is still able to do stuff on her own sometimes! So why, Why does she want to kick us out of the trailer so fast and wants to be alone for?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

its ok for her to be alone

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

cause shes confused and she feels like shes got strangers around instead of family

• 2 months ago

She's not used to sharing her little home with other people. You have to understand that.

You guys should be able to live nearby, but not in the same trailer with her. There's just not enough privacy with you all there, since she's used to living alone.

• Steve
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Self respect. She’s lonely but doesn’t want to be a burden. Caregiving is very difficult and she knows it.

If your mother is willing to assume that burden, she should assure your grandmother that she is extended family, and important in that role.

Good hygiene is imperative. If your mother can’t see to it that it is done, she (your mother) will need to get state assistance. They will know what to do if your mother doesn’t.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.